How to Reset a WordPress Site (The Easiest Way)
Do you want to know how to reset a WordPress site?
You can quickly move to the default WordPress settings by resetting your website. It’s helpful when your site has been hacked, you’re testing plugins and themes, using a demo site, or anything else where you want to revert your changes to the default.
In this article, we will discuss why resetting your WordPress site is a good idea and show you one of the best ways to do so.
Table of Content
Why Do You Want to Reset WordPress to Default?
There are several reasons why you might want to reset your WordPress site. Let’s walk you through some of the common scenarios.
- Your Site Has Been Hacked: Suppose your site has been hacked; you should get in touch with your web host. They will be able to assist you in recovering your files and locking the hacker out of your site. However, after removing the hack, you should wipe and reset your site.
- Your Site Has Low Speed: A page that takes forever to load is a disaster. It not only gives you a lousy rapport with searchers, but Google dislikes it too. Resetting your WordPress website ensures your system is cleared of unnecessary data filling up your disc.
- You are Rebranding Your Website: Rebranding and repurposing the existing websites require a WordPress reset to do away with existing customizations, plugins, and content. You can start afresh with WordPress on your "newer" website.
Backup Your WordPress Website Before Reset
Your WordPress website might go down for several reasons when you are about to reset it to the default. However, when this happens, your website is unavailable to visitors. You can imagine the impact of the situation in the case of an eCommerce store.
You’re losing revenue and brand reputation every minute your website is down. So, we recommend you back up your WordPress before resetting it to the default.
How to Reset a WordPress Site with a Plugin
WordPress plugins are the easiest way to reset your WordPress site. Many free plugins are available in the WordPress plugins directory.
Here, we’ve used the WP Reset plugin. This plugin has over 400,000 active installations and lets you quickly and easily reset your WordPress site.
First, install and activate WP Reset on your WordPress site. Once you activated the plugin, the next step is to configure the plugin settings. You’ll need to go to the left sidebar of the WordPress admin dashboard, navigate to Tools, and click WP Reset.
A new screen will open up. Simply scroll down to the Site Reset section.
Note: It’s better to click the Create snapshot button before resetting the site.
Next, type “reset” in the confirmation field that says Type in: “reset.”
Note: Reactive WP Reset plugin checkbox is marked by default. You can also mark the Reactive current theme (in our case Astra) and Reactive all currently active plugins if you want them back after the reset.
A follow-up confirmation pop-up asks if you want to go on with the WordPress reset. Press Reset WordPress to continue.
Once you click the Reset WordPress button, you’ll get a message saying Resetting is in progress. Please wait.
Once done, you’ll be automatically logged out of your site. Upon login, you’ll see that the Site has been successfully reset to default settings.
Now you've successfully reset your WordPress site.
This article helps you understand how to reset your WordPress site. We’ve shown you the easiest way to reset a WordPress site via a plugin. We’ve concluded that it’s best to back up your WordPress site before resetting it to save your WordPress site’s data. Once you reset your site, you can use the backup to restore your site.
If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to comment in the comment section below!
You may also want to check out How to Change Your WordPress Login Page URL (4 Easy Steps) and Benefits of Social Login for WordPress Site.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where are WordPress backups stored?
Can I start over in WordPress?
- 9 Best WordPress Calculator Plugins in 2024 (Free + Premium)
- 11 Best WordPress Gallery Plugins
- How to Boost Login UX with Custom Login User Interface Design
- 25+ Best Free WordPress Themes – A Sneak Peak (2024)
- Top 10 Customizable Login Page Templates in WordPress (2024)
- 11 Best Mailchimp Alternatives 2024
- WordPress WooCommerce Tutorial (10 Step Easy Setup Guide)
- How to Sell on WordPress Without WooCommerce (2023)
- How to Fix reCAPTCHA Not Working in WordPress (2023)
- How to White Label WordPress Login Page Using LoginPress (2023)
- How to Monitor and Analyze WordPress User Login Activity
- How to Customize A WordPress Multilingual Login Page
- Best ChatGPT WordPress Plugins 2023
- How to Use LoginPress with WordPress Multisite in 2023
- How to Set up Custom WordPress Login Credentials in 2023
- Best WordPress SMTP Plugins in 2023
- 11 Best WordPress GDPR Plugins in 2023
- How to Set Up Multi-Factor Authentication for WordPress
- How to Add Two Factor Authentication in WordPress
- 7 Best WordPress Cache Plugins 2023
- Best AMP Plugins for WordPress
- 7 Best WordPress 2FA Plugins in 2023
- 13 Best WordPress AI Plugins 
- How to Fix the WordPress Login Redirect Loop
- 9 Best WordPress Search Plugins 2023
- How to Set up a Language Selector on the Login Page
- 9 Best WordPress Security Plugins (Secure Your Site Today)
- 9 Best Practices for Designing Form Layouts in 2023
- How to Create a Mobile Friendly Login Page Using LoginPress
- 11 Best WordPress Membership Plugins 2023 (Comparison)
- 13+ Best WordPress Social Media Plugins (2023)
- 11 Best WordPress Hosting Providers 2023 [Tested+Compared]
- 9 Best WordPress Redirect Plugins 2023 (With Exclusive Features)
- 17 Best WordPress SEO Plugins – Expert Pick (2023)
- 5 Best Social Login Plugins for WordPress in 2023 (Free and Paid)
- Why Use WordPress in 2023? [10 Amazing Reasons]
- Top 60 Free WordPress Plugins 2023 (Best Compilation)
- 9+ Creative Social Login Examples to Inspire Your Next Design
- How To Build a WordPress Website [The 2023 Way]
- LoginPress VS Colorlib Login Customizer: Which is Best?
- 7 Best WordPress Limit Login Attempts Plugins in 2023
- How to Monetize Your WordPress Blog: Themes, Tips, and Strategies
- What’s New in WordPress 6.2 (Features and Screenshots)
- How to Add WooCommerce Social Login to Your WordPress Site
- 10 Most Common WordPress Login Issues (How to Fix Them)
- How to Add Custom Fields in WordPress User Registration Form
- 7 Best Practices to Limit WordPress Failed Login Attempts
- How to Add Custom CSS to WordPress Login Screen
- How to Reset a WordPress Site (The Easiest Way)
- How to Turn off Comments in WordPress (5 Easy Ways)
- How to Customize and Secure a WordPress Login Page
- How to Remove “Proudly powered by WordPress” Text From the Footer
- How to Add CAPTCHA to WordPress Login and Registration Form
- How to Change Your WordPress Login Page URL (4 Easy Steps)
- Benefits of Social Login for WordPress Site
- 13 Best WordPress Login Page Design Examples
- 2 Easy Ways to Unblock Limit Login Attempts in WordPress
- 5 Best Login Widget Plugins for your WordPress Site
- How Social Login Improves CRO on Your WordPress Site
- How to Display Custom WordPress Footer on Login Page
- 15 Best WordPress Affiliate Plugins in 2023
- How to Redirect WooCommerce Users After Login
- How to Add Front-End Login Page and Widget in WordPress
- How to Redirect Users to the Referrer Page After Login
- 9 Best Social Sharing WordPress Plugins (Free and Paid)
- 2023 WordPress Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals
- How to Create Custom Welcome Messages for Your WordPress Website
- 9 Most Popular Social Media Login APIs
- 10 Best WordPress Backup Plugins in 2023
- How to Embed a Video on WordPress (3 Easy Ways)
- How to Hide WordPress Login Page From Hackers (4 Easy Methods)
- WordPress Login Security: 13 Ways to Secure Login Page
- 15 Best Jetpack Alternatives for WordPress Websites
- How to Duplicate a Page in WordPress
- 10 Best PayPal Plugins for WordPress
- 15 Must-Have WordPress Plugins for Bloggers in 2023
- 9 Best RSS Feed Plugins for Your WordPress Site (Free and Paid)
- How to Unpublish Your WordPress Site (An Easy Guide)
- How to Upload a PDF to WordPress
- How to Add WordPress Login Widget to the Sidebar (Easy Guide)
- How To Find Your WordPress Login URL [The Easy Way]
- How To Change The Theme for Your WordPress Website
- How to Change the Font Size on the WordPress
- How to Add Social Login Plugin to WordPress Website (Easy Guide)
- How to Change Domain Name in WordPress
- How To Add Google Fonts With LoginPress
- How to Change or Reset a WordPress Password (2023)
- How to Customize the WordPress Login Page (Easy Guide)
- How to Easily Change the Login Logo in WordPress
- How To Use Vanta.Js as Background
- 9 Best WordPress Login Plugins In 2023 (Expert Pick)
- WordPress GDPR Compliance with LoginPress
- How to Redirect Users After Successful Login in WordPress
- Login Page Language Switcher in WordPress 5.9
- How To Limit Login Attempts in WordPress (Easy Guide)
- How To Design WordPress Login Page Without Coding
- How to Use LoginPress with WordPress.com?
- How to Disable XMLRPC.PHP in WordPress
- WordPress Security – Protect Website from Hackers
- How To Use LoginPress With WooCommerce?