How to Change Your WordPress Login Page URL (4 Easy Steps)
Are you looking for a way that helps you change your WordPress login page URL?
Every WordPress site has the default login URLs yourwebsite.com/wp-admin or yourwebsite.com/wp-login. All hackers, bots, and malicious attackers know this.
Once they reach your login page, they only need to guess your password, which means the chances of breaking into your site are pretty high.
WordPress users need to pay more attention to the security of the login page. As a general rule, creating a custom login page URL is a good practice to ensure that hackers cannot find it.
This article will show you how to change your WordPress login URL in 4 easy steps.
So, without much ado, let’s get started!
Table of Content
- Why Change Your WordPress Login Page URL?
- Backup Your WordPress Website Before Changing the URL
- Change Your WordPress Login URL with LoginPress (4 Easy Steps)
- Step 1: Install LoginPress Pro
- Step 2: Activate Hide Login Add-on
- Step 3: Getting Started with the LoginPress Hide Login Add-on
- Step 4: Test Your New Login URL
- How To Go Back To The Original WordPress Login URL?
- Final Thoughts
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Change Your WordPress Login Page URL?
The default structure of the WordPress login page generally looks like www.website.com/wp-admin/ or www.website.com/wp-login.php/.
So it makes your WordPress login URL the primary way for a bot or hacker to quickly access your website’s login page by adding the /wp-login.php or /wp-admin to the end of your site’s URL.
Creating a custom login page URL is a good practice to ensure that hackers cannot find your login page. When you change the default WordPress login page URL would have been changed to anything general, the bots or hackers will fail to guess your login page. Feeling secure, right?
Backup Your WordPress Website Before Changing the URL
If you plan to change your site’s default WordPress URL, we recommend you back up your site first.
It’s an excellent way to help you restore your website in case your website goes down for any reason.
Note: Check our detailed guide on the 10 Best WordPress Backup Plugins To Try In 2022.
Change Your WordPress Login Page URL with LoginPress (4 Easy Steps)
Although there are many plugins available for changing the login page URL. In this article, we're going to use LoginPress - the best WordPress login plugin.
LoginPress Hide Login Add-on is a less risky way to change your WordPress login URL.
So, here we’ll show you how to hide your login page using LoginPress’s Hide Login Add-on.
LoginPress has several free and paid Add-Ons that take its functionality to the next level. Including:
- Login Logout Menu is a built-in Add-on that comes free with the LoginPress plugin.
This Add-on lets you add options such as Login, Log Out, Register, Profile, and User as menu items to the website menu.
- Social Login (premium) Add-on uses the existing social media credentials of a user so that they won’t have to go through the hassle of filling out registration forms. With the social login, the users can immediately sign up for an account on your website and start accessing your services without delays.
- Auto-Login is another premium Add-on that allows selected users to log in to your website with a unique customized link instead of their login details. You can easily add or remove the users who can log in with a URL instead of their credentials.
- Login Widget LoginPress premium has the Login Widget Add-on. It uses Ajax to help users log in via the sidebar. LoginPress offers basic styling to the Login Widget, but you may uplift the style according to your site.
- Limit Login Attempts By default, there are no restrictions on login attempts. So, hackers continuously try to crack your WordPress site. Such unsecured websites often fall victim to these attacks.
LoginPress plugin's Limit Login Attempts Add-on is a simple fix to this problem. It limits the number of attempts users have to log into your website, so you can easily protect your website against brute force attacks.
- Hide Login LoginPress allows you to redirect users and visitors, i.e., customers or editors, to specific pages using Login Redirects. You can simply send one subscriber to its related page and one customer to another page following the redirection rule. All of the redirections are managed under one handy UX/UI.
- Login Redirects Login Redirects is a premium Add-on that redirects users to specific website URLs. The redirection could be set for individual users or entire user roles.
Here we’ll use LoginPress’s Hide Login Add-on to change the WordPress default Login URL.
Let us show you the exact steps to change your WordPress site’s login URL easily.
Step 1: Install LoginPress Pro
Note: We assume you’ve already installed and activated the LoginPress plugin.
Now, the first thing you’ll need to do is get the LoginPress premium version since we want to change the default WordPress login URL with LoginPress’s Hide Login Add-on (a premium feature).
You can see our detailed guide on How To Install And Activate LoginPress PRO Version?
Step 2: Activate Hide Login Add-on
Once you’ve downloaded and activated LoginPress pro, you’ll need to activate the Hide Login Add-on.
For this, go to the left of the WordPress admin dashboard and navigate to LoginPress > Add-Ons.
Next, you need to find the Hide Login Add-On and Toggle On the button to activate the Hide Login Add-On.
Step 3: Getting Started with the LoginPress Hide Login Add-on
Now it’s time to get started with LoginPress’s Hide Login Add-on. For this purpose, go to the left sidebar of your admin dashboard. Navigate to LoginPress and select Settings.
Once you are on the Settings tab, you’ll find the Hide Login tab next to it. Open the Hide Login tab.
Navigate to the Rename Login Slug field. Now, rename the login slug on your own or click on the Generate Slug (Randomly).
When you are done, click on the Save Changes button. Your new login page URL will be live.
Step 4: Test Your New Login URL
Test your new login URL to see if it works fine.
If you try to go for the default URL, www.website.com/wp-login.php/, you will be redirected to the 404 page. Now your WordPress login page is secured against brute force attacks.
It looks like your default WordPress login URL becomes unavailable to outsmart hackers. Now you don’t need to care about brute-force attacks. Awesome!
How To Go Back To The Original WordPress Login URL?
It is easy to get back to the original WordPress login URL. All you need to do is to click on the Reset Login Slug button and then the Save Changes button.
You've successfully reverted to the default WordPress login page URL. Pretty simple, right?
This article helped you learn how to change the WordPress login page URL with LoginPress Hide Login Add-on.
The big question is whether changing your WordPress default login URL is worthwhile. The answer is yes, as creating a custom login page URL gives your site a certain level of security and shields your site against unauthorized login attempts.
Despite this, it remains a common feature of WordPress security plugins, possibly because this technique could help reduce low-level attacks.
That’s all! we helped you with How to Change Your WordPress Login page URL. You may also want to check out 15 Best Jetpack Alternatives for WordPress Websites and Customize WordPress Login Page.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the URL for WordPress login?
When should I change my URL?
- 9 Best WordPress Calculator Plugins in 2024 (Free + Premium)
- 11 Best WordPress Gallery Plugins
- How to Boost Login UX with Custom Login User Interface Design
- 25+ Best Free WordPress Themes – A Sneak Peak (2024)
- Top 10 Customizable Login Page Templates in WordPress (2024)
- 11 Best Mailchimp Alternatives 2024
- WordPress WooCommerce Tutorial (10 Step Easy Setup Guide)
- How to Sell on WordPress Without WooCommerce (2023)
- How to Fix reCAPTCHA Not Working in WordPress (2023)
- How to White Label WordPress Login Page Using LoginPress (2023)
- How to Monitor and Analyze WordPress User Login Activity
- How to Customize A WordPress Multilingual Login Page
- Best ChatGPT WordPress Plugins 2023
- How to Use LoginPress with WordPress Multisite in 2023
- How to Set up Custom WordPress Login Credentials in 2023
- Best WordPress SMTP Plugins in 2023
- 11 Best WordPress GDPR Plugins in 2023
- How to Set Up Multi-Factor Authentication for WordPress
- How to Add Two Factor Authentication in WordPress
- 7 Best WordPress Cache Plugins 2023
- Best AMP Plugins for WordPress
- 7 Best WordPress 2FA Plugins in 2023
- 13 Best WordPress AI Plugins 
- How to Fix the WordPress Login Redirect Loop
- 9 Best WordPress Search Plugins 2023
- How to Set up a Language Selector on the Login Page
- 9 Best WordPress Security Plugins (Secure Your Site Today)
- 9 Best Practices for Designing Form Layouts in 2023
- How to Create a Mobile Friendly Login Page Using LoginPress
- 11 Best WordPress Membership Plugins 2023 (Comparison)
- 13+ Best WordPress Social Media Plugins (2023)
- 11 Best WordPress Hosting Providers 2023 [Tested+Compared]
- 9 Best WordPress Redirect Plugins 2023 (With Exclusive Features)
- 17 Best WordPress SEO Plugins – Expert Pick (2023)
- 5 Best Social Login Plugins for WordPress in 2023 (Free and Paid)
- Why Use WordPress in 2023? [10 Amazing Reasons]
- Top 60 Free WordPress Plugins 2023 (Best Compilation)
- 9+ Creative Social Login Examples to Inspire Your Next Design
- How To Build a WordPress Website [The 2023 Way]
- LoginPress VS Colorlib Login Customizer: Which is Best?
- 7 Best WordPress Limit Login Attempts Plugins in 2023
- How to Monetize Your WordPress Blog: Themes, Tips, and Strategies
- What’s New in WordPress 6.2 (Features and Screenshots)
- How to Add WooCommerce Social Login to Your WordPress Site
- 10 Most Common WordPress Login Issues (How to Fix Them)
- How to Add Custom Fields in WordPress User Registration Form
- 7 Best Practices to Limit WordPress Failed Login Attempts
- How to Add Custom CSS to WordPress Login Screen
- How to Reset a WordPress Site (The Easiest Way)
- How to Turn off Comments in WordPress (5 Easy Ways)
- How to Customize and Secure a WordPress Login Page
- How to Remove “Proudly powered by WordPress” Text From the Footer
- How to Add CAPTCHA to WordPress Login and Registration Form
- How to Change Your WordPress Login Page URL (4 Easy Steps)
- Benefits of Social Login for WordPress Site
- 13 Best WordPress Login Page Design Examples
- 2 Easy Ways to Unblock Limit Login Attempts in WordPress
- 5 Best Login Widget Plugins for your WordPress Site
- How Social Login Improves CRO on Your WordPress Site
- How to Display Custom WordPress Footer on Login Page
- 15 Best WordPress Affiliate Plugins in 2023
- How to Redirect WooCommerce Users After Login
- How to Add Front-End Login Page and Widget in WordPress
- How to Redirect Users to the Referrer Page After Login
- 9 Best Social Sharing WordPress Plugins (Free and Paid)
- 2023 WordPress Black Friday and Cyber Monday Deals
- How to Create Custom Welcome Messages for Your WordPress Website
- 9 Most Popular Social Media Login APIs
- 10 Best WordPress Backup Plugins in 2023
- How to Embed a Video on WordPress (3 Easy Ways)
- How to Hide WordPress Login Page From Hackers (4 Easy Methods)
- WordPress Login Security: 13 Ways to Secure Login Page
- 15 Best Jetpack Alternatives for WordPress Websites
- How to Duplicate a Page in WordPress
- 10 Best PayPal Plugins for WordPress
- 15 Must-Have WordPress Plugins for Bloggers in 2023
- 9 Best RSS Feed Plugins for Your WordPress Site (Free and Paid)
- How to Unpublish Your WordPress Site (An Easy Guide)
- How to Upload a PDF to WordPress
- How to Add WordPress Login Widget to the Sidebar (Easy Guide)
- How To Find Your WordPress Login URL [The Easy Way]
- How To Change The Theme for Your WordPress Website
- How to Change the Font Size on the WordPress
- How to Add Social Login Plugin to WordPress Website (Easy Guide)
- How to Change Domain Name in WordPress
- How To Add Google Fonts With LoginPress
- How to Change or Reset a WordPress Password (2023)
- How to Customize the WordPress Login Page (Easy Guide)
- How to Easily Change the Login Logo in WordPress
- How To Use Vanta.Js as Background
- 9 Best WordPress Login Plugins In 2023 (Expert Pick)
- WordPress GDPR Compliance with LoginPress
- How to Redirect Users After Successful Login in WordPress
- Login Page Language Switcher in WordPress 5.9
- How To Limit Login Attempts in WordPress (Easy Guide)
- How To Design WordPress Login Page Without Coding
- How to Use LoginPress with WordPress.com?
- How to Disable XMLRPC.PHP in WordPress
- WordPress Security – Protect Website from Hackers
- How To Use LoginPress With WooCommerce?